The East Slovakian Museum is one of the oldest museums in Slovakia, established in 1872. The Museum collects, does research, and organizes exhibitions of tokens of our past. The Museum manages several collection funds (Botany, Zoology, Mineralogy, Paleontology, Archaeology, Ceramics, Guilds and crafts, Numismatics, Badges and medals, Historical print, Military, books, Fine arts, Historical clothes, Musical instruments, Icons, Folklore, Historical furniture, Porcelain, Historical pharmacy, Historical photos, Smith crafts, Goldsmith jewelry). Its collections cover several exhibition areas:
· The Nature of the Carpathians’, natural history exhibition takes visitors through the natural beauties of Slovakia, the history of the Earth; tell them about historical geology, paleontology, mineralogy, fauna and flora.
· The exhibition ´Centuries of Art´ uncovers the history of arts and crafts. In addition to an interesting collection of visual arts, it includes a replica of a historical pharmacy.
· The exhibition ´Košice throughout the Centuries´ is in the Mikluš´s Prison presents the history of the city, its guilds and trade. It is also a historical prison with its specific genius loci where you can learn more about life of the executioner. In the Executioner´s Lodgings authentic executioner´s swords and visualization of the gradual building changes of this area are presented.
· In the courtyard of the Executioner´s Bastion is a replica of the exile home of Francis Rákoci 2nd – “Rodosto”, where artefacts related to the life and death of Francis Rákoci 2nd are displayed.
· In the Executioner´s Bastion there is a section dedicated to medieval fortifications of Kosice, including Bastion´s guns emplacements and historic firearms.
· The ´House of Crafts´ is built over an original moat, revealing its remains as well as various crafts.
· Unique Košice Gold Treasure is one of the most significant findings of its kind in the world, has been reopened to public in 2013 in a new installation.
· In the courtyard of Historical building of Museum is Wooden Church from Kožuchovce.
The Museum also participates in archaeological research projects, e.g. in archaeological research on Hrnčiarska street – various phases of the city fortification; in village Nižná Myšľa – fortified village from the Bronze Age; Rankovce – Germanic cremation burying ground etc.
Total number of staff members: 62 of different professions – curators, history of arts, archaeology, biology, paleontology, mineralogy, zoology, ethnography, archival science, librarian, admin staff.